I have been a naughty spendthrift. I just purchased three Toadies mp3 albums online. But I feel that it is for a good cause. Good music has become an endangered species. Rap, hip hop and emo thrive like mosquitoes but grunge is dwindling like bald eagles once did, and I desperately hope that as the bald eagle has done, grunge begins to make a comeback. In the meantime I will be doing my small part to coax it back into popularity.
Toadies are one of the most underrated grunge bands ever to have graced our musically challenged planet. Currently listening to their No Deliverance album, I have to say that the lead vocalist is one of the best I’ve heard. Not every song is a hit, but it sure beats the hell out of the more modern nonsense that the radio stations are spewing forth. I can think of no genre that has managed to capture emotion like grunge has done, but then, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
But it seems that the eyes of music fans have developed cataracts. In a world of Justin Biebers – or whatever the hell his name is – and Lady Gagas and Dr. Dres, rock, the most powerful music that has ever been, has been pushed back and repressed and the rock that has managed to stay afloat is not so much rock but more often an affront to the genre of its origin. We are now calling bands like Saving Abel and Fallout Boy “rock” and this is how I know the end is near. God is surely planning our destruction for the horrible tastes we have developed.
I, standing tall and self-righteous, will be among the raptured. Burn your hip hop albums and boycott MTV and you may just redeem yourself enough to join me on that fine day. Please do the responsible thing; stop buying albums from artists that made their debut on American Idol and together we can bring back the music of the 90’s, back when rock was still rock and everybody still made fun of country music and rap. Fight the power. Woot.
No comments:
Post a Comment